Sushi for Beginners

Laugh everyday, it's like inner jogging!

Thursday, September 08, 2005

The Belize Diaries-Day 1

Friday Sept 6th

My flight from OKC to Houston was uneventful. As the plane was boarding to leave for Belize I was doing the usual scooping out of the incoming passengers trying to spot the persons who would be occupying the 2 seats beside me. Little did I know that the priest carrying two boxes of Duncan Donuts would be my seatmate. I racked my brain trying to think of something to confess while he stowed his donuts in the overhead compartment and climbed over me to his seat by the window. He he was from Belize and knew the woman sitting in the seat in front of us. He had been on holiday in the states for over a month. Hence the donuts. Guess he really loved Duncan Donuts. So I am sitting there trying to decided what I am going to talk to this priest about and he notices that the plane is not full so he is going to move because he wants room to spread out. I can't even manage to keep a priest occupied for 5 minutes. Either he thought I looked to innocent to have anything to confess or he thought I might have too much and he just wanted to eat his donuts in peace.

The airport in Belize City is not large. Only one big plane can land at a time and they pull the stairs up to the door. They also share the runway with the little taxi planes. It consists of 4 gates. I passed through customs with almost flying colors. I am pretty sure the guy was bored and was just trying to get us through fast. Very safe. I found Sandi who had been up on the viewing balcony taking pictures of me getting off the plane. Up until that moment I don't think she thought I was really coming.

From the mainland we took a 20 minute plane ride to the island. One of the moments you all have been waiting for. The Tiny Plane...The plane seated about 15 passengers and that is if one person sat in the co-pilots seat. Sandi had managed to inform most of the people that I didn't want to be on the tiny plane so guess who got to be the co-pilot. That's right. Just call me Co-Captain Suzy. She says she has a great picture of me and the pilot. By that time it wasn't the plane I was worried about it was accidentally hitting a button or touching the moving steering wheel, but I had a great view! Here is your first picture of Belize from my co-pilots seat. Incredible. It's just all these little islands scattered in the ocean. We were heading to the island of Ambregris Caye.

Once we landed it was a taxi(I use the term taxi loosely)to our hotel which was named the Banana Beach Resort. Our room was pool side and a short walk to the back patio which to you straight to the beach. The rest of the evening was spent walking on the beach and eating an amazing meal in our hotel restaurant. I have three words for you...KEY LIME PIE. You will find this is a consistent theme for me on this trip.


Tomorrow...Lumani Jungle Tour

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home