Sushi for Beginners

Laugh everyday, it's like inner jogging!

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Sandi & Suzy's Road Trip to the South

Three years ago my sister Sandi and I took a trip. You could say we were a lot like Thelma and Louise. Except that neither one of us is a red head. Except that we didn't have a convertible. Except that we weren't on the run from the law and at the end of this trip we didn't drive off a cliff. So excluding the above exceptions you could say we were a lot like Thelma and Louise.

Now, you might be wondering why I am writing about a trip that happened three years ago. It's all about our final destination. I drove to Memphis and picked her up and then we started our long drive to our vacation destination which was Biloxi Mississippi. We drove south to Jackson Mississippi. Our first Thelma & Louise experience came when we stopped for gas. Now remember, we are in Mississippi so where else can you pick up a Mississippi man. A gas station. Duh! This guy was creepy. If you looked up creepy in the dictionary there would be a picture of him. His truck was loaded down with junk. I literally mean junk. He was a middle aged guy and was missing most of this teeth. Sandi leaves me filling the car up with this guy standing right beside me asking me all kinds of questions. Like where am I from. Who I was with. Where I was going. Was I married etc....It was pretty freaky. Finally he went inside to use the bathroom and so I went inside, grabbed Sandi and we high tailed down the road. We tried to make our getaway fast because we were getting ready to get onto he Natchez Trace which is a pretty deserted 2 lane highway surrounded by trees. Very scenic but very scary if you run into a toothless Mississippi man.

We arrive in Biloxi very late at night. It was raining and the winds were blowing and for 2 girls from Kansas it was pretty scary to see the ocean blowing that hard. Sandi and and I were talking about it yesterday, how scary it was at times to look out our window and see the waves crashing onto the beach. It wasn't even a tropical storm or near hurricane potential it was just a plain ole storm and it still scared us. I can't even imagine how those people must be feeling at this moment. We had to cancel one of our day trips to an island off the coast and instead drove to Mobile Alabama and saw the USS Alabama. On the way home we drove to New Orleans and spent the day in the French Quarter. All place that the hurricane hit. It is kind of creepy to think that at one time you had been to all those places. Standing in a place where there is now water and so much destruction.

Oklahoma has tornado. Mississippi has hurricanes. I think I am moving to Oregon. They don't have anything but rain, but who cares when you live in such a pretty place.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Move back to Kansas. That's what I would do.

12:07 PM  
Blogger Suzy said...

It is God's country. I used to tell people that I lived in the pretty part of Kansas and they would look at me dumbfounded and say something stupid like "Kansas has a pretty part" or asked me if I had a dog named Toto.

5:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Idiots. They should all be shot. And, actually I lived in the pretty part of KS. You lived in the so-so part.

10:23 AM  
Blogger Suzy said...

I will take so,so anyday. We all can't live in the land of OZ.

10:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home