Sushi for Beginners

Laugh everyday, it's like inner jogging!

Friday, November 03, 2006

Secrets of the Postal Service Revealed

My cousin Scott is in town training for his new job as a postal worker. Isn’t that exciting. Maybe my family will now have the inside scoop on when the price of stamps will go up and other cool stuff that only postal workers know.

He told Tammy that the one most important thing she could teach her students was when addressing a letter you DON’T put a comma between the city and state. WHAT? All my life we were taught to put a comma between the city and state. When we asked him why the change he told us that the postal service has new machines that cannot read the commas therefore it kicks out all the letters that have commas. Tammy asked him why we all had to change. Why did the postal service create a machine that won’t read what billons of people have been taught for years. Seems kind of selfish if you ask me.

Then we asked him what happens to the mail that has commas and gets spit out. He said that it gets routed to a post office in St. Louis where there is a lady that has to figure out what it says and hand type it into the computer and run it back through the mail system again without commas.

After hearing this, I decided that I was not going to change the way I address my mail. If I do then there will be a lady in St. Louis that won’t have a job. So here’s to you Miss I Work For The Postal Service In St. Louis So I Have To Look It Up and Then Type It In the Computer So All Your Family Can Get Their Mail Postal Lady.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here are some more I found interesting from cousin Scott

- If gas raises just 1 cent, that costs the USPS 6 Million Dollars A DAY

- the USPS is completely self sufficient, meaning our tax dollars do not support them. All their money comes from stamps, priority mail, bulk mailings...

- USPS is the 2nd largest employer in the United States.... second only to.... (can you guess)... Wal-Mart

12:44 PM  
Blogger Suzy said...

See what I mean. That is some good stuff that only relatives of a postal worker would know. I can't wait for Christmas!

2:48 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

Can Cousin Scott tell you why one must ring the bell and the bulk mail counter for service, even if the person is standing right there talking to you?

10:49 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Stacey, you crack me up!! I haven't made it public knowledge yet, but I have also started the process of possibly working for the post office. Unfortunately, it takes forever to get called to test, at least here. I've waited 2 months already and no word.

2:35 PM  
Blogger Suzy said...

How exciting that we know all these people that are working or will be working for the postal service. Stacey you should pose your question to Beau. He and I had a long conversation last night about the postal profession. He's working his way to the top of the post office chain.

10:52 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

Beau works for the post office? I thought he was a landscaper?

8:53 AM  
Blogger Suzy said...

He's part time but I think he's working his way into full time. I think he is still landscaping some too. All I know is he isn't my secret mower since there are no hearts.

10:14 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home