Sushi for Beginners

Laugh everyday, it's like inner jogging!

Thursday, February 01, 2007

There Has Got To Be An Easier Way To Meet Men

Every night before she goes to bed my mom will pick up the house and make sure it’s clean. I never understood why she couldn’t just go to bed without making sure all the newspapers were picked up and the drinking glasses where put in the dishwasher. She told us that you should always have your house picked up because you never know when something will happen and people will have to be in your house. Still after all these years I never really followed her advice and after last night my mom owes me a big I TOLD YOU SO.

Stacey you are going to be jealous, so get ready!

Last night about 10 p.m., I was sitting on my couch getting ready to watch the news to find out if we needed to open the office late because of the snow when all of the sudden my power goes out and a there is a loud boom and a blinding light in my back yard. It was just like in the movies when people get abducted by aliens. Which I have to admit was the first thing that came to mind. I sat on my couch frozen in terror for a few seconds just trying to get my heart rate back down to normal and thinking about just what kind of experiments the aliens might perform on me and just how long it would be before my family missed me. After about a minute the power came back on and I realized that it wasn’t aliens it was just a transformer that blew in my back yard. This isn’t the first time this has happened but it was the first time it happened this late at night and the first time it caused a blinding alien like light to fill the house.

Here’s where it gets good folks and where you get really jealous Stacey.

I go out back to see what kind of damage has been done and there is a wire hanging down on fire shooting sparks everywhere. I freaked. Grabbed my phone and called 911. This was my first time to ever call 911. I must say that I remained calm and cool headed. I was very proud of myself. He guy on the other end said that he would dispatch the fire department. Shoot, my house is a mess. I’m in my pajamas with my hair is up in a clippy and the firemen are coming. 5 minutes later they show up with the huge ladder truck and no joke all six firemen come climbing out of the truck in full fire gear. 3 of them come into my house and out to the backyard. I can hear them out there for about 20 minutes just talking and walking around. Finally they decide to pull a hose around back and put the fire out. Another 10 minutes pass and one of them finally came back in the house and told me the fire was out and they had called the City of Edmond and I just needed to wait until they city came but in the meantime I was not to go out back and do anything. No problem. I’m in my jammies. It’s freezing cold and there is a down power line. Trust me, I am not going anywhere.

30 minutes and a cup of hot chocolate later the City of Edmond shows up. Again I answer the door in my pajamas. Tell them my story, minus the alien part because I didn’t want them to think I was stupid, and they told me they would take a look around but they weren’t that concerned since the power was working. Oh that’s comforting since there used to be a power line of fire swinging amongst the trees in my backyard, but I guess they know what they are doing and I had heat so I wasn’t going to complain. Finally about 12:30 a.m. I get to go to bed.

So all in all it wasn’t a bad night since I got to entertain 6 of Edmond’s finest in my backyard and it gave me time to get my house picked up before the City of Edmond showed.

Sorry mom. I now understand your obsession for keeping your house picked up at night. From here on out I will follow your advice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home