The Rainmaker
I’m for hire. No, not that way! I’m a rainmaker. Not in the sense of I can bring a lot of money to your business, I mean in the sense that I am an actual rainmaker. You know….
Rainmaker (rain’maker) 1. Someone who can make the rain fall. (by the way, you won’t find this definition in Webster’s so don’t bother looking.) If you want it to rain then a sure fire way of doing that is to put me in charge or plan it around big events in my life. Don’t believe me……
1. High School Graduation…..To my knowledge a Wellington High School Gradation had never been held inside. Until mine. 3 siblings all graduates of WHS and mine was the only one that was moved inside. They were going to have to limit the number of seats for family members. It reminded me of that episode on the Brady Bunch when Cindy was the princess in the school play and she had to choose only one parent to attend. My heart went out to that little girl! Somehow I don’t think the Wellington School Board would have had a “special” graduation so that all of my family could attend. Life is so not like TV!
2. College Graduation…..Granted, these ceremonies are always held inside, but again 3 siblings all graduates of OC, multiple cousins (ok 2), and I cannot recall it raining on any of their graduations. I use the word “rain” lightly. This was the day that the heavens opened and poured forth sooooooo much water! I mean the kind of rain that even having an umbrella doesn’t help. A couple of people from my office attended my graduation and every once in a while they bring up the fact that the weather was so bad. Like I should give them brownie points for coming our in the rain. Fine. Thanks for coming guys!
3. Edmond’s 12 Annual Relay For Life….11 years of Relay’s and the year I was completely and 100% in charge it rained and had to be moved inside. Did you all get that? 11 years and it NEVER has been held inside. Again, it didn’t just rain, it was violent weather. Winds, rain, tornados. We just turned the music up louder and hoped we didn’t get blown away.
This weekend is our Relay Garage Sale. We have SO MUCH STUFF and they are predicting 70% chance of rain. David Payne’s (news channel 4) exact words were “Saturday is a great day to stay inside and do nothing.” Great! Did I mention we have SO MUCH STUFF! Now while a garage sale isn’t exactly a momentous occasion in my life, I did agree to have it at my house and am coordinating the set up and the schedule, etc….Plus it is a fundraiser for Relay.
So in closing, all I have to say is Men….if there is one of you out there that has it in his heart to buy your lady the biggest, sparkliest (I think I made that word up), diamond engagement ring, I’m your girl because….baby….we are getting free. It’s raining on my wedding day!

2 Comments:
Then resign as chairman NOW because I'm not moving this Relay again! Yes, I'm doing work on back-up locations, but I really don't want to have to deal with it. This is our move for the year - we're not moving it again!!! =)
Done! You are now in charge. At least the first move cannot be blmaed on me. I have personally requested good weather for that weekend so we have no worries!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home