Sushi for Beginners

Laugh everyday, it's like inner jogging!

Monday, August 15, 2005

I Found a Contender for a Rocky VII Movie

Yesterday evening our class had a service project at Capital Hill. A lot of people from our class are already involved with this inner city church and I have been down there on occasion to paint, etc... but never while they were having a church service so this was a good opportunity for those of us who haven't been down there on a Sunday to see exactly what happens on any given Sunday afternoon. It is amazing to see how much those kids love coming to church and how much they love the people that are down there every Sunday and Thursday.

Me and 3 other girls from the class were in charge of teaching the little kids. K-2nd grade. We ended up having 11 kids ranging anywhere from 4 to 8. We started out with a flip chart story that used a black light and neon colors so they all thought it was cool when we got to turn the lights out but it wasn't long before we realized we might have our hands full with a couple of kids. This is the part of the story where I found Rocky's next contender. But I warn you, he doesn't fight fair.

ROUND 1-I am not even sure what this child's name was becaue he would never tell us his real name and all the other kids were telling us different names but I think it was Montel. It started when I told him he had to share his markers. He got mad and started kicking the table so I sat in his chair and held him on my lap. He obivoulsy didn't want to color since he kept kicking the table with his feet. By the way, he told me he was 3 but I found out later he was 4.
Winner: Montel

ROUND 2-I kept trying to get him to color or to at least just sit there so the others could color and that is when he started pinching. I had to move pretty quick to keep the arms out of range. He managed to get me a couple of times.
Winner: Montel

ROUND 3-I managed to get him distracted for a fraction of a second by commenting on how the color of his shorts matched the color of the chair we were sitting in. I know this sounds lame but I was grabbing for anything out there.
Winner: Suzy

ROUND 4-We resorted back to pinching but he obivously wasn't getting anywhere with the arms so he resorted to pinching "other" body parts. That was the last straw on the pinching! He told me he didn't like me and told me he was going to steal my bracelet as he is pulling it off my arm. At this point, Stacey comes over and we take off all of my jewelry and put it in her pocket.
Winner: I delcalre me since the pinching other body parts was a low blow.

ROUND 5-He and the kid beside him get into an argument about who is stronger. It is finally decided that the other kid is stronger because he is 7. He has obivously never been pinched by Montel.
Winner: Me again because I managed to make it at least a minute without getting pinched.

ROUND 6-He decides that pinching and trying to steal my jewelry are not getting him anywhere so he starts to try and bite me. I saw this move coming so I was able to put that to a stop immediately. He would have to move his head down to try and bite my arms to I was able to avoid the teeth by just watching the motion of his head. It's wise to know your opponets tactics.
Winner: Me again. I have no teeth marks.

ROUND 7-Dinner is served! Nothing stops a kid from misbehaving like Pizza and Ice Cream.
Winner: Tonya and her kitchen crew. Thank goodness for pizza.

As much as I don't want to admit this, I am a little sore today after going 7 rounds with a 4 year old. I did find out that I wasn't that special. The regular teacher told me that he pretty much tells everyone he doesn't like them. That made me feel a little better. I didn't want to admit it hurt my feelings that a 4 year old didn't like me.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes but what happened to Rocky VI?

12:06 PM  
Blogger Suzy said...

That's right. I forgot that IV was the Russian. Which I might add is my favoite of the Rocky movies. I love when he works out in the barn! Then there was the sucky Rocky V so you are right that would be VI. So sorry. Chalk it up to exhaustion!

3:14 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Good creative way to tell your story. Glad you survived.

7:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know if I should make fun of you for getting beat up by a 4 year old, or if I should praise you for having what it takes to even attempt to teach 4 to 8 year olds. I would have ran for the hills... So I think I will say - Good job Suzy! You are a better person then me!

8:30 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home