Sushi for Beginners

Laugh everyday, it's like inner jogging!

Monday, March 06, 2006

It's Really Very Simple

Here is a tip men…..Women love gentlemen. I was at Panera this morning (big surprise) and as I was exiting a man was entering. He was half way through the door looked up and saw me and didn’t just hold the door back with his arm he stepped all the way back out and held the door open for me. Trust me when I say this men….even though I didn’t personally know this man I still felt this overwhelming sense of appreciation and it put a smile on my face. Granted that he probably (don’t want to flatter myself too much) would have done this for any woman who walked through the door it still made me feel special.

It also amazes me how parents try to teach their little boys to be gentlemen. On more than one occasion I have witnessed the littlest of boys holding open the door for the ladies and doing it without even being asked. It makes me want to give them all candy. Hugs are yucky and not appreciated in front of their friends. You have to feel a little sorry for them though, most of the time they get to practice being gentlemen at church where they get stuck holding the door for 20 people at a time. Each person going through commenting on how cute they are etc…Most of the time, they endure it without even so much as an eye roll. I hope that is a trait that they carry with them to adulthood.

My mom would always tell my brother to treat women as if you would your mother or your sisters. Like this is good advice. I can’t even walk across a room without my brother grabbing my legs and tripping me, or walking up behind me an pretending to cut my throat with his finger or pinching me at the dinner table until I say something like “Tammy is a butthead.” I hope my brother isn’t out there behind some woman in line at Panera pinching her until she tells the person behind the counter they are a butthead, but I also know that my brother would do anything for me and defend me against anyone. Unless he’s with all the boy cousins and they are all ganging up on me to tickle me. All gentlemanly traits are gone when all the family is together.

So men….if you want to know how to impress a woman, its simple hold the door for her. Some of us don’t require much in a relationship. Just a simple little gesture to show you appreciate the fact that we are women. I promise you will be rewarded. Even if it is just a smile and a thank you. Your mothers will be proud!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is amazing to me how the IQ of the room always goes to the lowest common denominator when all of us get together... It is like we take stupid pills or something...

1:27 PM  
Blogger Suzy said...

What's this "we" business. I think the stupid pill are only taken by certain people.

2:02 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

AMEN! I never thought it was that big of a deal to me for a guy to open a car door (or any door for that matter) for me until a guy I was dating stopped doing it and it really made me feel like I wasn't that important to him anymore (and obviously I wasn't because we're no longer dating).

11:55 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home