Is There A Vet in the House?
I was going to tell you all about my day the Capitol yesterday but the late night call from my brother last night seemed like a much more interesting story for today. You would think by this time that I would be used to the late night or very early morning phone call from my family. I usually assume when my phone rings “after hours” that it is something with Isaac, but last night was something entirely different.
I was worn out yesterday. It was a long day and all I wanted to do after church was go to bed. At 11:00 p.m. my phone rings and I had the following conversation with my brother.
Steve: Were you asleep?
Suz: No. (I should mention here that if you call me and ask me if I was asleep I will generally say no. No matter what time of the night you call. Strange I know, but for some reason my brain is so confused when I get woken up that I never seem to be able to admit that I was asleep. Please don’t try and test this theory.)
Steve: I may need a favor.
Suz: What? (hey, I was tired. He was lucky to be getting any kind of response)
Steve: I am on my way to the emergency vet with Scotchy (their cat). We couldn’t find him anywhere tonight and I finally found him in Will’s closet foaming at the mouth and hissing and when I tried to catch him he ran away growling. He hasn’t been acting too well over the past couple of days so I am taking him in. If by chance it’s something bad and we need to put him to sleep can you come out and stay with Will so that Jama can come to the vet. (They have had Scotch for a long time. He was their very first pet and they have had him since he was tiny kitten)
Suz: Absolutely. Just call me when you know something.
Steve: OK. I will let you know.
12:30 my cell phone rings….It turns out they are still not sure what is wrong with Scotchy. They needed to run a test and the emergency vet was not able to do the test so Steve was going to have to take him to their regular vet this morning. They think it might be his Thyroid. It is a long story about what kind of treatments are out there for a Feline Thyroid conditions and I am sure that it was the last thing my brother wanted to hear about at midnight. I started in on this long incoherent conversation about how emergency vets really stick it to you because they know if you didn’t love your pet then you wouldn’t be there in the first place so they feel the need to charge you an arm and a leg for everything little thing and you start to feel really inhumane when you are sitting there at midnight asking how much everything costs and is it really necessary. I was very proud of myself for this midnight soapbox moment. Apparently I wasn’t as coherent as I thought because Steve told me to go back to bed.
As I was telling Tammy about it this morning, I decided that really what happened is that ever since Will was born their cats have been extremely jealous and have started “faking” illnesses to get attention. Come on….do you really think it was a coincidence he was in Will’s closet. Seems kind of suspicious to me.

4 Comments:
Your conspiracy theories crack me up. Those blasted cats. They should all be hung by their ears and beaten.
:D
BK
Oh this is nothing....I've got millions of conspiracy theories about animals, but most of them involve squirrels and them trying to burn my house down. I could make a movie. Wait...Mel Gibson already did that. Shoot. Maybe animal planet will pick it up.
Yeah, what is it about your family and cats that foam at the mouth? =o)
By the way, I saw Isaac this morning. He told me about his pancake and ketchup breakfast. YUCK!!!
What? No whip cream or jelly?
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home